Re: 'bzr init-repo .' crashes for lack of module bz2. Help, please!

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: 'bzr init-repo .' crashes for lack of module bz2. Help, please!
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:56:47 +0000

Hi, Tassilo,

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 07:16:33PM +0100, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm just curious, but why didn't you just reinstall your system instead
> of working around your broken package manager, thereby deferring that
> task only a bit into the future?  I'd go nuts with such a severely
> broken system. :-)

I didn't think of reinstallation, but wouldn't have done it anyway.  It's
just too unpredictable in how much work it would need to restore it to
proper working.  My PC works, and it's only a minor inconvenience to
build from source code.  Most tarballs' error messages are easier to
understand than Python's.

It is an old Debian system ("sarge") and I find its full screen packaging
utility "aptitude" too baroque for my taste - it's almost as complicated
to use as "mutt" (email client), and that amount of complication is
excessive for a utility I might use two or three times a year.  I want a
straightforward command line packaging system, so I'm going with gentoo
on my next system.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).