Re: Bzr document unclear. There is no "conflict markers".

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bzr document unclear. There is no "conflict markers".
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:08:59 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:59:59 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>     I think it is usually better do the merge first (and resolve any
>     possible conflicts) before making the edits that make up your fix.
>
> I find that hard to understand.  If you have not yet edited the file,
> what is there to merge?

For the first edit ever in that branch, you are right.  But once you
begin working there, the histories of the branch and the trunk
diverge, so a merge is necessary.  Note that "merge" in Bazaar is not
just the merge of the files' contents, it is (AFAIU) also the merge of
histories of the branch and trunk, i.e. the DAG that represents the
history of each of the two trees is merged to include both.