Re: Potential copyright problem in EIEIO improvement

From: Jan Moringen
Subject: Re: Potential copyright problem in EIEIO improvement
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:37:54 +0100

On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 23:09 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The following piece of code is from the paper "A Monotonic
> Superclass
>     Linearization for Dylan". It is labeled "Appendix A:
> Implementation of
>     the Dylan Linearization" there. This code implements the Dylan
>     linearization *without* the improvement presented in the paper.
>
> That is 50 lines, which is far more than enough that we would
> normally want papers.

I think, the most important part is the code in Appendix B since code
very similar to Appendix A is available in Open Dylan (I included both
in my last email). My code could have been derived from the Open Dylan
code except for the improvement presented in Appendix B.

> Can we make an exception for this case?  Maybe.  I will ask a lawyer.

Thank you for spending so much time on this.

> Which GPL versions does Open Dylan's license allow?

It is dual-licensed such that LGPL is one possible license:

=== Begin header of class-dynamic.dylan from Open Dylan ===
module:    internal