Re: Autoload from a web page?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Autoload from a web page?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:12:11 -0600

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:06:27 +0100 Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> wrote:

JB> I favor the model where the package manager does clone the repository from
JB> the mirror as one of the steps required to install a package.

I think the delivery method should not require DVCS or network access.
The repository should simply be a URL which can point to a file or a
directory or a DVCS location.  Thus a repository snapshot can be
delivered in a single file or over the network (e.g. see Ubuntu's
repositories for a more static version of this).  It should be a single
URL, though, not a set of URLs or some other list of information.
Adding a repository and listing the known repositories should be really
easy.

DVCS only benefits repository maintainers.  End users should be shielded
from DVCS operations IMHO.  They can still benefit from delivery via
DVCS but it should all be hidden.

JB> The package manager should only operate on complete packages.

Agreed.  Piecemeal installation of .el files is unnecessary in at least
90% of the cases I've seen.

Ted