Re: Integrating package.el

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:51:06 -0700

Ted> Can package.el support that?  It looks to me, from reading the current
Ted> source, that it's limited to a single repository.

Yes, it is currently limited to a single repository.
This should not be too difficult to fix.

It also needs to be changed to be able to manage multiple install
locations, if it is to be used to manage site-lisp.

Ted> I don't know about the other packages that come with Emacs, but Gnus
Ted> could probably benefit from package.el-style installation (I don't speak
Ted> for the Gnus project, though, so I can bring it up on the mailing list
Ted> if necessary).  A better setup process for Gnus would be really nice,
Ted> though.  The usual pre-install and post-install scripts you find in RPM
Ted> or DEB would help.  I suspect many other packages would benefit from a
Ted> better setup process through package.el.

If you want to try packaging it, I can explain what you need to do.
It is usually quite easy.

Tom