Re: Potential copyright problem in EIEIO improvement

From: Jan Moringen
Subject: Re: Potential copyright problem in EIEIO improvement
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 05:23:19 +0100

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 11:23 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I think, the most important part is the code in Appendix B since
> code
>     very similar to Appendix A is available in Open Dylan (I included
> both
>     in my last email). My code could have been derived from the Open
> Dylan
>     code except for the improvement presented in Appendix B.
>
> I'm talking about the code from Open Dylan.  That is 50 lines, and
> normally we would not install 50 lines without getting papers for
> them.  I will ask whether we can make an exception, once I have enough
> info.

So in order to derive GPLed code from the GPLed Open Dylan code and
assign the copyright of the new code to the FSF, the Open Dylan authors
have to sign papers. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing it out.

>     Dual-license: GNU Lesser General Public License
>
> Does it say what version?

I found a license file in the Open Dylan project root directory which
says:

GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2.1, February 1999

Kind regards,