Re: bug#881: patch for bug #881

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug#881: patch for bug #881
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:20:04 -0500

> How should it work? We don't have any nice generic mechanism/UI for
> doing VC backend specific things in the commit buffer.

It's a general concept, although it's not supported by all backends.
I'd imagine some log-edit-mode command that set log-edit-author and is
then somehow passed to VC via the log-edit-callback which then passes it
to the backend as an additional argument to the `commit' operation.

Maybe the easiest way is to store the info directly in the text in the
form of a "Author: ..." line somewhere.

Along similar lines, we'd like a way to pass the "--fixes" arg to Bzr,
so maybe we should let log-edit-mode use a buffer in a RFC822-like format,
where backends may recognize some headers ("Subject", "Author",
"Fixes", ...) and discard others.

        Stefan