Re: Integrating package.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:45:37 -0500

    > The package repositories should be identified by a single URL; the ones
    > that come with Emacs should point to a secure Savannah URL.  That may
    > address RMS' concerns about loading software over the network.

Alas that doesn't affect the issue.  Running software directly from
the network is bad because it is a process that invites users to give
up control.

Who wrote the program makes no difference, not for this.
Where the program comes from makes no difference.
Suppose I wrote the program and people fetch it from gnu.org:
that makes no difference.  It is still bad for people to
adopt a practice that gives them less control.

So we won't lead people in that direction.