Re: Splint

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Splint
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:50:52 -0500

On Jan 7, 2010, at 05:43, alin.s wrote:
Have somebody tried to make an exhaustive test of splint in all emacs C
source code?

Does it worth inserting such scripts in Makefile.am ?

I played with splint a few years back (not for Emacs but another project). It's an interesting tool, but the lack of maintenance and some issues in how it works were a bit of a problem. For example, I found lots of annotations in the code were needed, and often declarations needed to be broken up with typedefs so you could annotate a pointer-to-pointer type properly. I'd suggest looking for a better tool, unless there's been seriously renewed efforts to improve splint.

While Coverity's stuff is commercial, they've offered its use to some open-source/free software projects. In fact, as I recall, Emacs was done some time ago, and a bunch of problems brought to this list, though I don't know if anyone is monitoring to see how we fare now.

Ken