Re: Surely 'bzr update' shouldn't be this slow?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Surely 'bzr update' shouldn't be this slow?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:18:01 +0100

Lennart Borgman skrev:
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

Sometimes I work on a netbook, which maybe is comparable to your 1.2GHz
Athlon on CPU power, and some operations are slow indeed (>20 seconds
for the log of a file.) I raised this on the Bazaar ml, but most people
there think that Bazaar is fast enough and no extensive work is planned
for performance improvements.

If that is the case I really wonder what is wrong.

With bzr or the bzr developers? :-)
A bzr pull for the trunk takes 25-30 seconds when there is nothing to pull.
CVS took 4-5 seconds in the same case. This is critical, as pulling from the trunk is done quite often. Other operations are also slow (commit to the trunk for instance). It is on the edge of usable.

Maybe it is bad to compare to git:

- Bzr is slow!
- Compared to what?
- Git.
- Well, git is superfast compared to anything, that means bzr is not really
  slow.

        Jan D.