Re: git archive no longer being updated?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: git archive no longer being updated?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:43:58 -0500

On Jan 1, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> You can follow the mirror at repo.or.cz, but it is only updated
> manually.

I've been trying it out and I'm having some issues with this wrt. my downstream
branches, which have been based on the official mirror on Savannah until Dec 27.

Now, I can merge yours and the old SV mirror using the 'ours' strategy. This
works in that is creates a common ancestor with the downstream branches, so I
can merge the resulting branch downstream.

However, it is kind of ugly since git-log then shows commits from both the
Savannah and the .Cz branch, even though the commits were functionally
equivalent.  It's logical, but it keeps 100k redundant commits around.

Would it not be possible to rebase the new changes on top of the old branches,
or directly do the fast-import with the previous repository from Savannah?  Or
are there disadvantages to the old conversion?

(I haven't figured out how to use rebase without common ancestors, so I haven't
 tried it out.)