Re: Surely 'bzr update' shouldn't be this slow?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Surely 'bzr update' shouldn't be this slow?
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:57:16 +0900

grischka writes:

 > > No, it has to do a lot more than that.
 >
 > Has to?  Why?

Because the data structures are designed that way.

But really, your question is either "why isn't bzr git?", in which
case the answer is "because it's not."

Or it's "why isn't Emacs using git?", in which case the answer is
"because Emacs is a means to the end of promoting free software, and
in RMS's judgment, Emacs using bzr is beneficial to that end."

 > Also with http: You claim it's slow because it needs to download
 > entire packs.

That is the fact of the matter.  Don't argue on emacs-devel with me
about bzr implementation.  Argue with the bzr devs on their lists, and
you'll find me in your corner.[1]  Probably Óscar, too.

Footnotes:
[1]  Actually, not.  I'm sympathetic but unwilling to tilt at that
windmill.