Re: reversion revulsion [was: log format for vc-bzr]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: reversion revulsion [was: log format for vc-bzr]
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:36:32 +0200

> From: Óscar_Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:21:02 +0100
>
> > cd .../trunk                        # 0
> > bzr update                          # 1
> > bzr merge ../quickfixes             # 2
> > bzr commit                          # 3
> > bzr revert --forget-merges          # 4
> >
> > IIUC step 3 publishes, as does step 4, defeating atomicity.
>
> Nope, you have steps 3 and 4 reversed.

I usually do it slightly differently (following the wiki):

  cd ../trunk
  bzr update
  cd ../quickfixes
  bzr merge
  bzr commit

Where would I put "bzr revert --forget-merges" in my case? wouldn't
that be after the last "commit"?

> `bzr revert' does not modify committed history.

As far as I understood from Juanma and Stephen, it actually does.
Unless by ``committed history'' you mean something that excludes the
history of merging revisions between branch and trunk.  What am I
missing?

> Maybe you are
> confusing it with `bzr uncommit', which NEVER should be used in trunk/?

Not even if I need to revert the last commit?