Re: log format for vc-bzr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: log format for vc-bzr
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:45:17 +0200

> From: Daniel Clemente <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:54:03 +0100
>

> El vie, ene 08 2010 a les 10:00, Eli Zaretskii va escriure:
> > As usual, the Bazaar documentation doesn't say anything about this
> > option that can be grokked by Bazaar non-experts.
> >
>   It does. See the 2 last paragraphs of bzr help revert:

Please give me some minimal benefit of a doubt.  I already read
all the docs on my machine that I found relevant, including
"bzr help revert".

First, what it says on my system does not include this part:

> |   Using "bzr revert --forget-merges", it is possible to apply the changes
> |   from an arbitrary merge as a single revision.  To do this, perform the
> |   merge as desired.  Then doing revert with the "--forget-merges" option
> will
> |   keep the content of the tree as it was, but it will clear the list of
> |   pending merges.  The next commit will then contain all of the changes that
> |   would have been in the merge, but without any mention of the other parent
> |   revisions.  Because this technique forgets where these changes originated,
> |   it may cause additional conflicts on later merges involving the source and
> |   target branches.

I use the latest stable release, 2.0.3.

More importantly, this addition, while it does help somewhat, still
falls short of making the effect clear.  What is a ``list of pending
merges''?  (This was already explained in this thread, but the docs
don't explain that.)  What are ``other parent revisions''?  Without
knowing that, it is impossible to understand the net effect this
command will produce.