Re: Gentoo GNU/Linux and non-free packages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gentoo GNU/Linux and non-free packages
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:01:52 -0500

    I think, that such a default setting of the license filter would qualify
    as 100% free.

It is possible that installing Gentoo with this filter setting would
not directly install nonfree software -- assuming the developers have
not overlooked any.  For instance, does their version of Linux include
firmware "blobs"?

However, merely having an option which avoids nonfree software does
not make a distribution something ok to recommend.  Most computer
users have not learned to value their freedom; if we steer them
towards Gentoo we would probably lead them to install nonfree
software.

See gnu.org/distros for an explanation of this and the rest of our
criteria for endorsing distributions.