Re: colours in client on xterm (if an X frame is open at same time)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: colours in client on xterm (if an X frame is open at same time)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:18:58 -0800 (PST)

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

  > Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  >   > >>>>> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  >   >
  >   > >> Anyway, my point was, why are the colours _different_ in the second
  >   > >> case? Especially, why is the background grey?
  >   >
  >   > > It should not be.   I can't reproduce it here, but by emacs is about
  >   > > 2 weeks old.
  >   >
  >   > > In the grey case, do you get something odd if you do a describe-face
  >   > > for the default face?
  >   >
  >   > Differences between normal and grey case are:
  >   >
  >   >    -    Foreground: unspecified-fg
  >   >    -    Background: unspecified-bg
  >   >    +    Foreground: black
  >   >    +    Background: white
  >   >
  >   >    -          Font: unspecified
  >   >    -       Fontset: nil
  >   >    +          Font: #<font-spec nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil ((user-spec . monospace-12))>
  >   >    +       Fontset: -unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-fontset-startup
  >   >
  >   > > Is this something new? Do you get the same behavior with 23.1?
  >   > > If not, then doing a binary search for the patch that broke it is your
  >   > > best bet...
  >   >
  >   > I had hoped that the bisecting could be avoided, but here we go.
  >   >
  >   > The "grey background" started with revision 99013 (and reverting this
  >   > changeset in the trunk of today brings back the old behaviour):
  >   >
  >   >    revno: 99013
  >   >    committer: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
  >   >    branch nick: trunk
  >   >    timestamp: Mon 2009-12-07 06:30:30 +0000
  >   >    message:
  >   >      Get the background mode from the terminal for xterm, and set
  >   >      faces accordingly.
  >   >      * term/xterm.el (xterm-set-background-mode): New function.
  >   >      (terminal-init-xterm): Use it in case xterm supports background
  >   >      color queries.  Recompute faces after getting the background
  >   >      color.
  >
  > Thanks.
  >
  > In your case the only effect that patch should have is to move the call
  >  (tty-set-up-initial-frame-faces) from before
  >
  > (let ((coding-system-for-read 'binary)
  >
  > to after it.

If I put back the `tty-set-up-initial-frame-faces' call (after
`xterm-register-default-colors') and make current
`tty-set-up-initial-frame-faces' conditional on detecting a dark
background, then everything seems to work OK.

Calling `tty-set-up-initial-frame-faces' twice in the dark background
case is very ugly, but in case nobody finds a better solution soon I'll
check in that change soon.