Re: log format for vc-bzr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: log format for vc-bzr
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:51:36 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 22:39:06 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > > A "pending merge" is a merge that you have started with "bzr merge"
>  > > (or perhaps a "bzr pull" that resulted in a conflict) but not yet
>  > > finished with "bzr commit".
>  >
>  > Terrific!  So I just did a merge, but it is still considered
>  > ``pending''?  Who could have thought of a more confusing semantics??
>  > (Please don't take this as aimed at you, Stephen; I will shortly say
>  > the same on the Bazaar list.)
>
> Please don't.  Remember, the merge may have been interrupted due to a
> conflict, and it is not complete until it has been resolved.  It's
> possible that better terminology could have been chosen, but it
> wasn't, and the bzr people are highly unlikely to change it now.

I filed a docs bug report about that.  If they won't change the
terminology, they should at least explain it in a clear manner.

> you seem to be looking for a way to edit commit messages without
> changing the commit again, and for various reasons, some plausible
> and some inertia on the part of the developers, I don't think that's
> going to happen.

No, I wasn't looking for ways of editing commit messages in this
thread.  That's another battle (that sounds like a lost one).  I
thought initially that ttn was after some semi-automated way of
cleansing commit messages when work on a feature is finished.  But
that thought was a mistake of mine.