Re: Integrating package.el

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:00:39 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Richard Stallman writes:
>>  >     Naturally, it's up to whoever manually curates the index to ensure the
>>  >     package follows the guidelines for that archive. For the FSF
>> archive(s)
>>  >     it would mean ensuring copyright assignment is in place; for folks who
>>  >     want to maintain their own archives it would probably be something
>>  >     simpler like making sure it's licensed as free software.
>>  >
>>  > I am worried that this will lead to a problem.
>>  > Namely, there may be increasing numbers of packages
>>  > that we can't get adequate papers for and can't put into Emacs.
>>
>> This is a problem as opposed to increasing numbers of packages that
>> are available only to their authors and you can't put into Emacs?  At
>> least this way you'll have a contact address for authors.
>
> No, it's a valid concern.  It's hard work hunting down papers and
> integrating packages.  We must make sure a package system does not tempt
> us to just "dump and forget".

A well made package system might also conceivably make it easier to
acquire papers right?

For instance, it might be more prestigious to have ones package in the
FSF repos.

Also, digital signatures might be legally binding at some point. (I think
they are in Swedenalready, we have a national system for it anyway)

--
Joakim Verona