Re: Integrating package.el

From: Phil Hagelberg
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:43:56 -0800

address@hidden writes:

>> No, it's a valid concern.  It's hard work hunting down papers and
>> integrating packages.  We must make sure a package system does not tempt
>> us to just "dump and forget".
>
> A well made package system might also conceivably make it easier to
> acquire papers right?
>
> For instance, it might be more prestigious to have ones package in the
> FSF repos.

In my mind it has little to do with prestige and more to do with
streamlining the installation process for users of my projects. Being
able to tell users "install $FOO through package.el" rather than giving
a many-step install process means it will be easier for users to
discover and try out my projects, not to mention keeping them up to date
with the latest version. For this benefit I (and surely many other
package authors) would be willing to put up with the hassle of paperwork
where possible, thereby increasing the number of packages for which the
FSF owns copyright.

-Phil