Re: Integrating package.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:24:15 -0500

> I'm going to continue my work on package.el whether or not it is
> accepted into Emacs, but it would be a shame to make users go through
> extra installation steps to use it.

Having myself written a package manager (install.el), I'm clearly fully
in favor of integrating something like package.el.
I don't think there's necessarily much work to be done to integrate it.

E.g. It is not necessary to set up a VCS area to keep the package
sources (and other such things) before integrating package.el.

Basically, all I want is for it to be able to distinguish between
"packages available locally, either installed by the user or the
sysadmin", and "packages that will be autoloaded in a given session", so
as to be able to install different versions of the same package at the
same time.

        Stefan