Re: bzr workflow

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bzr workflow
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:08:42 +0200

> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:10:03 -0500
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
> appears to indicate that I need to commit _twice_ for each change (with the
> same log message?):
>
> Workflow for a Quick Change
> bzr commit -m "Fix bla bla bla (closes Bug #1)."
>
> Merging Into the Upstream Master
> bzr merge
> bzr commit -m "Merge: fix bla bla bla (closes Bug #1)."

It's not twice, it's n+1, where n is the number of commits you do on
the quickfixes branch while you work on the change, and the +1 is to
merge with upstream before you send the changes to the remote
repository on Savannah.  For serious development, you will want that,
and you cannot avoid the last merge with upstream, of course, for
obvious reasons.

As others told you, if your "quick fix" is just a simple change, it
doesn't need a separate branch.  FWIW, I make such changes directly in
the trunk tree, and then the workflow looks very similar to CVS: just
hack, test, and commit once, which commits to the remote repository as
well as the local one.