Re: compilation-ask-about-kill

From: Alexander Klimov
Subject: Re: compilation-ask-about-kill
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:06:37 +0200

Hi.

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Juri Linkov wrote:
> > It would be nice to allow recompilation with a single key stroke even
> > if the previous compilation hangs. With the following patch the user
> > can skip
> >
> >  `A ... process is running; kill it?'
> >
> > if he set `compilation-ask-about-kill' to nil.
>
> Instead of adding a new defcustom, it would be better to use the
> existing feature created for this purpose.
>
> As the docstring of `compilation-start-hook' suggests using
> the following code when you do not want a question about killing
> the compilation:
>
>   (add-hook 'compilation-start-hook
>             (lambda (process)
>               (set-process-query-on-exit-flag process nil)))
>
> I think a query in `compilation-start' should respect this user setting,

I agree that compilation-start should respect this flag, but I am not
sure whether this will allow non-elisp-enabled users to express a wish
that they do not want compilation to ask about kill, whereas defcustom
gives an easy to discover "GUI" access to this commonly-requested
customization.

--
Regards,
ASK