Re: bzr workflow

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bzr workflow
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:18:24 +0900

Juanma Barranquero writes:
 > On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:39, Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:
 >
 > > This can't be done in the trunk branch
 > > (as per the Wiki) as we don't even compile there.
 >
 > FWIW, there's no intrinsic problem in building trunk; that it is not
 > recommended in the introductory document just means that it is added
 > complexity not deemed necessary for beginners,

As far as I know, it's not complex one way or the other, although I
have been a vpath addict for over a decade, so I have no experience.
The only thing you need to be careful about is that *all* build
products are in .bzrignore, and that you don't accidentally add any
scratch files you personally create, since the recommended workflows
do most pushing from there.

FWIW, the real reason that we didn't say anything about it is that the
original idea was that the trunk would be treeless, but it turns out
that you can't merge a branch without a tree.  (It's not impossible in
theory -- eg, if the divergent changes affect different files -- but
bzr won't do it.)

 > That said, as Eli has commented, bootstrapping is generally not *that*
 > painful,

But this isn't about "general", it's about a workflow where "bzr
merge" is considered too painful.