Re: Emacs 23 Mac port

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:39:38 +0100

On 2010-01-12 22:22, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Thanks.  But then a special event such as SIGUSR1 cancels an
incomplete key sequence being typed.  How about doing this only when
the current buffer is changed by the special event?
IIRC the general approach to these kinds of problems in
read-key-sequence is to only recompute the initial state if the current
key-sequence is still empty.
I.e. rather than check whether the special event has changed current
buffer, we would instead check whether the keybuf is still empty.
But that can be wrong too.  In *scratch*:
C-c<drop .c-file>  C-e

In which sense would it be wrong?  What would you consider to be "right"?

Well, given that we recompute only if the key-sequence is empty, the case above will then behave as the original bug. I guess right would be to somehow detect that ketmaps need to be recomputed and do so without discarding any ongoing key sequence.

I'm just playing devils advocate here. I don't think we can get it 100% correct easily. Recompute on buffer change gets some border cases right, recompute on empty key-sequence gets some other border cases right. But for the majority of cases, they are probably equivalent.

        Jan D.