Re: adding branches to bzr?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: adding branches to bzr?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:43:00 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> I have some local Emacs branches I maintain in git:
>
>   xwidget       - embed different gtk widgets in Emacs windows
>   imagemagick   - use imagemagick to read and render images in Emacs
>   filemagic     - incorporate filemagic library in Emacs
>   windowgroups  - group emacs windows together
>
> It would be interesting to share this work in the central bzr repo. How
> would I do that? Or shouldn't I?

The people who made the CVS -> git -> bzr conversion are the right ones
to answer this, but possibly some reading of `bzr help fast-import' will
be very useful to you.

As for sharing your branches on the central bzr repo, well, one of the
nicest features of dVCSs is that there is no central repo. That's just
an agreement among developers. You can share from Launchpad or from your
own machine and it will be as useful as if you were shraring from
Savannah, so you don't need to obtain permission from the Emacs
administrators to effectively share your branches with others.

IMHO, the branches located on Savannah either shall be restricted to a
few "very important" ones or open the repo for anyone who wishes to put
his branch there. A middle point makes no sense. Personally, I'll prefer
the "only very important branches" approach.

--
Óscar