Re: Git mirror - bidrectional

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Git mirror - bidrectional
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:28:44 -0800 (PST)

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

  > Does anyone plan to set up facility to make the git mirror writeable
  > and merge changes into the Bzr branch?  (Changes to ChangeLog files
  > might lead to merge conflicts, but if that is solved, a
  > bidirectional Git bridge would really be quite useful.)

IMHO this would be a terrible idea.  Am I the only one that thinks that?
We already have a never ending thread about using Bzr, we don't need
another one about using git and another one about the git-bzr gateway.

We have an official VCS, that what everyone should be using.
Especially people that have write access.
If people want to use something else in private, fine, but please keep
it private.

We are already getting bug reports that mention git version numbers,
that generates more work than needed to figure out exactly what version
that is.

If bzr is not satisfactory for some reason, then please open a
discussion with arguments about replacing it, not just add yet more
noise about a different way of checking things in.

[And yes, I do like git better than bzr, but that's not the point here]

  > On Dec 30, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
  >
  > > Anyone who wants to set up a git mirror can use something like this,
  > > suitably adapted:
  > >
  > > test last-run -nt last-run-ready || touch last-run
  > > rsync -av --del bzr.sv.gnu.org:/srv/bzr/emacs/ emacs.bzr/
  > > cd emacs.bzr
  > > for b in *; do
  > >  test $b/.bzr/branch/last-revision -ot ../last-run && continue
  > >  echo $b
  > >  bzr fast-export --marks=../bzr-marks $(test $b != trunk && echo -b $b)
$b |