Re: adding branches to bzr?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: adding branches to bzr?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:29:06 -0500

> I haven't had time to properly think about this yet.
> My understanding is that there's negligible cost to adding multiple bzr
> branches to the central repo (in terms of, say, server resources or bzr
> log output).  Is that right?  If so, I guess it won't hurt to start
> making branches for the features lined up for Emacs 24 (which we'll
> begin concentrating on in a couple months, once 23.2 draws closer to
> release).

I'd tend to agree.  We could create a subdirectory for working branches
where people could install their work in progress when they need to
share them.  Admittedly, if I had such a branch, I'd put it elsewhere to
avoid the sftp overhead.

But Stephen's point is also relevant: we want those branches to be
"clean" in the sense that they should be based on the current Bzr
repository, so branches that started elsewhere would need to be rebased
before installing them.

        Stefan