Re: commit style redux

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: commit style redux
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:03:08 +0100

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 04:00, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> The paths are relative to where each ChangeLog file is, rather than
> relative to the root of the project. If there are two files with the
> same basename in different subdirectories, things might get ambiguous.

There aren't that many matching filenames, and in most cases it should
be obvious from the change which file it is affecting, I think.

BTW, perhaps we should clean the dust from Miles message and use it as
the start of a "commit policy" document.

For example, the point about the SHORTISH ONE-LINE SUMMARY should be
stressed IMHO; it is really quite useful when browsing commits.

Another thing we still do quite often is mixing trivial, unrelated
fixes in a single commit (for example, uncountable times I've fixed
typos, etc. in a ChangeLog at the same time that I was adding an entry
to that ChangeLog). We should try to get used to separate these kinds
of changes even if it means a bit more work (alas, that's much easier
with interactive cherry-picking tools, like git add -i, which I think
Bazaar lacks).

    Juanma