Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:10:53 +0200

> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:27:24 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> I've been struggling with this fine distributed version control system
> for over a week now.  My trouble is that I have no mental picture of
> what the main bits are in bzr and what the relationships between them
> are.

My personal conclusion is that you don't really need to create a new
mental picture.  You can largely reuse the one you had about CVS.
(There are some _new_ bits to get used to, especially when you decide
to work on a significant new feature on a local branch.  But you don't
need to struggle with these new bits until you actually decide to do
such work.)

To reuse your CVS mental model, just use the "Doing Quick Fixes"
workflow as it is described on the wiki.  Note that the recommended
workflow was changed since you have read it, because it no longer
proposes to use a separate local branch, but rather either do it in
the trunk or in a branch that is bound to upstream, exactly like the
trunk is.

> I don't find the bazaar documentation much help in forming such a
> mental picture.

That's true, unfortunately.  Feel free to ask questions here, though.