Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:17:39 +0200

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:02:50 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> >  bzr merge
> >  bzr commit
> >
> > The first one merges the text of the files, but does not combine their
> > histories.  The second command finishes the merging process by
> > updating the history so that it now includes both local commits and
> > whatever happened in the mainline since the last time you merged from
> > it.
>

> Thanks Eli, but what worries me is that it looks like one could take a
> completely wrong path here after "bzr merge". I might be
> misunderstanding something but it looks to me like Alan's quick fix
> branch got into a bad state just because he did not do "bzr commit"
> immediately.

I think "bad state" is an exaggeration.  E.g., Giorgos just posted one
simple way out of this predicament; there are many others.

And yes, if you work in a branch, you need to grow genes to do a
"bzr commit" immediately after "bzr merge".  Note that a similar
trouble could happen to you if you "cvs up" with uncommitted changes
in the sandbox, and some of the updates conflict with your local
changes.

> Is that really true??? If so why does not bazaar protect against this?

It's really easy to get out of this "bad state".  No more complicated
than with CVS.