Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:27:08 +0000

Hi, Eli,

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:10:53PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:27:24 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > I've been struggling with this fine distributed version control
> > system for over a week now.  My trouble is that I have no mental
> > picture of what the main bits are in bzr and what the relationships
> > between them are.

> My personal conclusion is that you don't really need to create a new
> mental picture.  You can largely reuse the one you had about CVS.
> (There are some _new_ bits to get used to, especially when you decide
> to work on a significant new feature on a local branch.  But you don't
> need to struggle with these new bits until you actually decide to do
> such work.)

In all the docs I've read, there's never been much of a separation
between branches and checked-out working copies, and that's caused me a
lot of confusion.

> To reuse your CVS mental model, just use the "Doing Quick Fixes"
> workflow as it is described on the wiki.  Note that the recommended
> workflow was changed since you have read it, because it no longer
> proposes to use a separate local branch, but rather either do it in the
> trunk or in a branch that is bound to upstream, exactly like the trunk
> is.

Ah.  That will be why my setup doesn't match the wiki one any more.  ;-)

> > I don't find the bazaar documentation much help in forming such a
> > mental picture.

> That's true, unfortunately.  Feel free to ask questions here, though.

My mistake was I tried to move my changes from "quickfixes" to "trunk"
using "bzr merge".  'bzr help merge' doesn't say what is merged with what
where, sadly.

I think what I really want is 'bzr push'.  Is this correct?  The
documentation for 'bzr push' is not helpful.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).