Re: keybinding to duplicate the current line.

From: Ken Hori
Subject: Re: keybinding to duplicate the current line.
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:00:59 -0800

Miles,

> I actually do this particular operation quite a bit, but I
> think there's no need for a dedicated key sequence to for it --
> the common idioms are easy and fast to use and a lot more
> flexible than a dedicated command.

I don't mean to be picky here, but i think my assertion was and is less shaky
than yours in that it consumes the opinions of alin.s, A. Soare, Daniel
Colascione and myself.

"C-a C-k C-k C-y C-y" involves 5 key strokes; and it can be dangerous and easy
to get lost for the beginners too as it involves 2 killings and 2 yankings.

My point is that, since there are at least 4 people in this thread who want, or
have already defined their version of, 'comment-and-dup' that there probably are
a lot of existing users that would find it useful. So I think we should at least
add such a function to simple.el (or the like) for them to use.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
Ken Hori <address@hidden> writes:
> Even in this thread, there seem to be more than several users
> wanting this as a default function, which most likely means there
> are many users who feel the same way.

That's a pretty shaky assertion...

I actually do this particular operation quite a bit, but I think there's
no need for a dedicated key sequence to for it -- the common idioms are
easy and fast to use and a lot more flexible than a dedicated command.

[I use "C-a C-k C-k C-y C-y", which is extremely easy (and quick) to
type because all the keys are C- chords, and because two of the keys are
just repeated.]

-Miles

--
Liberty, n. One of imagination's most precious possessions.