Re: keybinding to duplicate the current line.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: keybinding to duplicate the current line.
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:29:20 -0500

> I don't mean to be picky here, but i think my assertion was and is
> less shaky than yours in that it consumes the opinions of alin.s,
> A. Soare, Daniel Colascione and myself.

> "C-a C-k C-k C-y C-y" involves 5 key strokes; and it can be dangerous
> and easy to get lost for the beginners too as it involves 2 killings
> and 2 yankings.

> My point is that, since there are at least 4 people in this thread who
> want, or have already defined their version of, 'comment-and-dup' that
> there probably are a lot of existing users that would find it
> useful. So I think we should at least add such a function to simple.el
> (or the like) for them to use.

Emacs is highly configurable.  You can very easily make that
line-duplicating command yourself, even without knowing any Elisp
(using a keyboard macro).  So clearly, the most important change would
not be to add such a command to Emacs, but to give it a key-binding, and
there lies the rub.  It's quite likely that any keybinding we could come
up with would not be significantly easier to type (and remember)
than Miles's.

        Stefan