Re: Quotes in Dired listing switches

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Quotes in Dired listing switches
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:35:42 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:29:54 +0200
>
> When a zip archive contains a file with square brackets in its name
> (e.g. "file[name].txt") then visiting this file displays an error:
>
>   caution: filename not matched:  file[name].txt
>
> That's because `archive-extract-by-stdout' runs `call-process'
> where the filename is unquoted:
>
>   unzip -qq -c archive.zip file[name].txt

No, that's because `unzip' expands wildcards in its command-line
arguments.  Since `call-process' doesn't go through the shell, the
arguments generally don't need to be quoted (except with `unzip',
argh).

I suggest that you file a bug report, because the fix is not trivial,
if we want to keep the code in arc-mode.el independent of the
customizable settings of the archive-*-extract etc. options.