Re: merge conlict?

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: merge conlict?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:17:12 +0200

On 2010-01-25 14:02 (+0200), Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> $ git show b8de0d6
>
> Please help me understand what you ``trivially'' see in this output. I
> clearly see here changes not made by Mark, and having no Git knowledge
> I cannot discern between the changes, because the format shown is not
> exactly the Diff format.

Sorry. There has probably been misunderstanding on my side too. One
thing is the changes made by the merge commit itself. If there are no
conflict resolution the merge commit doesn't add any changes of its own.
Another thing is that what changes the merging as a whole brings from of
the branches' point of view; this depends on how we look at it. I
believe you are interested in the latter so let's look at the merge
commit in question:

$ bzr log --show-ids -r 99379

revno: 99379 [merge]
revision-id: address@hidden
parent: address@hidden
parent: address@hidden
committer: Mark A. Hershberger <address@hidden>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Sun 2010-01-24 23:52:26 -0500
message:
  merge conflict

There's are the revision IDs of this merge's parents. To see what
changes the merge brought from former-trunk to Mark's branch:

$ bzr diff -r \
    revid:address@hidden

Mark pushed this branch to the official Emacs branch on
bzr.savannah.gnu.org so now it became the branch we call "trunk".

To see what changes Mark made in his private branch and thus brought to
the main development line:

$ bzr diff -r \
    revid:address@hidden

To see how Mark resolved the conflicting merge:

$ git show b8de0d6

How to interpret Git's combined diff format is documented here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-diff.html