Re: merge conlict?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: merge conlict?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 06:08:48 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:18:33 -0500
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> >> Should only the maintainers, Stefan and Yidong, be able to do
> >> trunk-> branch merges?
> >     No!  Every developer who works on a feature in a separate branch needs
> >     to do that from time to time, to avoid diverging too much from
> >     mainline.
> > Sorry, it is the push from a branch that caused the confusion.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Should only the maintainers, Stefan and Yidong, be able to do that?
>
> I'd say "not even".
> Basically, instead of "push" to the trunk, the right way is to "merge"
> from some other branch onto the trunk.
> In any case, the .bzr/branch/branch.conf modification should ensure that
> such errors don't happen any more.

Actually, not every "push" is harmful, and the option you set will not
prevent those that are not.

(If we want to develop a useful common understanding of the issues
related to Bazaar and the right workflow with it, I think we should
try to be as accurate as possible about the semantics and the effects
of the operations we discuss.)