Re: Editors for TEI

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: Editors for TEI
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:42:16 -0500

    See three different causes for Emacs being difficult for beginners -
    while finally living without seems just no longer acceptable :-)

    1) wrong didactic focus of built-in Emacs-tutorials on keys instead
    of commands or rules

`C-h t' is a long-cherished command that---if I understand you
correctly---was the _key_ to my affinity for GNU/Emacs:  editing
movement unlike any other that I know of on this planet.  And it is
always and already the tip of my list of things to improve on as
it---editing movement---is what makes my work easier, um, speedier.

    2) the freedom to change and/or extend is a dangerous promess for
    beginners, and still in later times ;-)

Conservation.  To my way of thinking, an important lesson in learning
about learning is that learning is a negative experience.  The larger
the `chunk' to be negated the less pleasant the learning experience.

    3) Environments for different languages are to build up by hand
    often

Like all environments of production.

    The good news IMHO: All that may be avoided by a better guide for
    beginners, resp. a delivered customization.

If I understand `delivered customization' correctly, the suggestion
flies in the face of GNU/Emacs extensibility.  The defaults alone
abstract one away from a perfectly usable, albeit quirky, editor.