redisplay system of emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:10:22 +0900

alin.s writes:

 > Could it be possible to take off all the redisplay and create a
 > standardized system of redisplay, that everybody can understand
 > quickly? Everybody can write an add-on for Mozilla.

But nobody (except a few experts) messes with redisplay.  Redisplay is
*hard*.  There are very few redisplays capable of doing what Emacs can
do.  Emacs, XEmacs.  *Maybe* Gecko (Mozilla) or Webkit (Safari).  On
the other hand, the way you write your post, I doubt it requires
changes to redisplay, but I could be wrong.  So I think you need to
explain what it is you want to do.

Note that Mozilla has a high-level language (XUL) for managing its
display (and other aspects of user interface).  Add-ons are written in
that language.  Well, so does Emacs: Emacs Lisp.

 > I do not know how redisplay of Mozilla works, but as time as new
 > add ons appear every day, that means that the system is very
 > standardized and easy to learn.

Emacs is also standardized and easy to learn.  There are just many
fewer people interested in writing Lisp libraries than there are
writing Mozilla add-ons.