Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:43:17 -0500

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:47:26 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> The Mozilla display engine displays images and text with different
> properties very well. And it is very flexible in its way to do that
> (since CSS requires that).

Even images support in Emacs (which is admittedly young and unevolved)
already supports advanced features like :pointer and :map (see the
node "Image Descriptors").  And I wasn't talking about simple text
properties that just change faces or the size of the characters, of
course.  What about properties that need to evaluate Lisp forms or
depend on Lisp-level variables?

> I guess it does not directly has something that reminds of "special
> properties", but would that be hard to add?

I have no idea.

> Another point is of course searching for the properties. But Emacs has
> its own difficulties there (overlays).

The difficulties is not with searching, the difficulties are with
maintaining many overlays.