Re: No commit in vc?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No commit in vc?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:27:52 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:52:44 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:49:19 +0100
> >>
> >> cd trunk
> >> bzr merge ../other-branch
> >> <in VC-dir, mark the modified files>
> >> <commit from VC-dir>
> >>
> >> As mentioned on my response to Jason, it seems that bzr does not admit a
> >> `commit' comand with a list of files when there is a pending merge.
> >
> > Óscar, could you please ask on the Bazaar list if this is true, and
> > what can be done to work around that, so that VC could DTRT?
>
> From `bzr help commit' :
>

> Selective commits:
>   If selected files are specified, only changes to those files are
>   committed.  If a directory is specified then the directory and
>   everything within it is committed.

>   A selective commit after a merge is not yet supported.
> <<<<<<<<<

Are you saying that this happened because a "merge" was not followed
by a "commit", and only because of that?  That means people are not
following the recommended workflow.  AFAIU, with Bazaar, failing to
commit after a merge is asking for trouble.

> So it is documented. Maybe VC could detect if there are pending merges
> parsing the output of `bzr st', or parse the error message returned by
> `bzr commit somefile' and detect that the failure was due to a pending
> merge

And then do what?

> What bzr shouldn't do is to output a backtrace. I'll file a bug report
> for that.

That was a backtrace in .bzr.log, no?  What's wrong with that?