Re: New branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New branch
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:08:52 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:12:30 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > This is correct. But you have to think too about the branches out there
> > that are pointing to upstream branches...
>
> Yes, and the idea is to use trunk as a signal for development
> priorities.  Right now, we want the focus to be on fixing bugs, so the
> Emacs 23.2 code is on trunk.  The `pending' branch is for those few who
> are looking ahead to Emacs 24, but we don't want that to encourage that
> for the bulk of developers, yet.

But the disadvantages pointed out by Óscar of changing the semantics
of trunk, pending, and other non-specific names, are real.  So I'd
really prefer that we use a special branch for releasing 23.2, leaving
the trunk for future versions, because then the semantics of trunk
would not change under our feet one day.