Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:48:30 +0100

Hi David,

> Uh, Emacs needs to work without noticeable delays and with syntax
> highlighting for documents of _book_ size, easily containing thousands
> of pages. In fact, the size of the total document should not affect
> editing speed.

Is it so common to write books in a single monolithic file ? The two
typesetting systems I use from emacs allow (and encourage) to split the
documents in many files. And emacs corresponding modes are designed for
easy navigation between them.

That said, I totally agree that this is a real concern : what happens if
someone wants to _open_ a huge document. As Lennart said, it probably
isn't the job of the display system to restrict the data to render to
a subset, but rather the job of an intermediate layer, between the
document and the rendering engine.

--
  Paul