Re: No commit in vc?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: No commit in vc?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:05:41 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Maybe it is a good idea to display the condition that there are pending
>> merges
>
> Display how?  If in the modeline, then that indicator might not be
> prominent enough to draw the attention.

Perhaps on the top of the buffer, using a prominent face.

> I would like to repeat my suggestion to explicitly ask whether to
> commit after a merge that results in pending merges, with the answer
> defaulting to "yes".

Well, in bzr (contrary to git) all merge operations result in pending
merges. Added to this, you are supposed to review the results, not only
in case there are conflicts, but in general (that's what bzr people say
to explain why all merges require an explicit commit). Finally, AFAIK
VC-dir has no support for executing a `bzr merge'.

>  If the user says "no", they know what they are
> doing, and will not forget to commit after they do whatever it was
> that caused them not to commit right away.  For others, it is a safe
> bet that they don't have enough bzr flowing in their blood to
> understand that they will be in trouble if they don't commit soon, so
> we will be doing them a favor by suggesting to commit.

What VC-dir could do is to warn the user if there is a pending merge
and he tries to do a selective commit. For me it is good enough what it
does now: try to execute the command and show the error message reported
by bzr.