Re: No commit in vc?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: No commit in vc?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:29:12 +0100

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>   > > Maybe it is a good idea to display the condition that there are
>   > > pending merges
>   >
>   > Display how?  If in the modeline, then that indicator might not be
>   > prominent enough to draw the attention.
>
> I've already said that in a previous message:
> "If yes, then vc-dir can insert a header to tell the user to do a commit
> with no arguments."
>
> Here's an untested p

[snip]

> +     (propertize "Pending merges, commit recommended before any other action"
> +                 'help-echo "Explain here what is going on"
> +                 'face 'font-lock-warning-face))))))

Saying that there are pending merges is enough. It is not VC-dir
business to recommend what the user should or should not do, just
provide the relevant information. And in this case the recommendation is
misleading because, apart from commit, there are operations which are
acceptable and useful when there is a pending merge: diff, revert,
resolve, editing the changes, etc. What is not acceptable is a selective
commit, and bzr already blocks that.

Knowing that there is a pending merge is important, so this patch is
very useful.