Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:54:03 +0100

David, Eli, Stephen, Stefan, and others, thank you very much for your
insights. That was well argumented, and very constructive, which I guess
is not an easy task when speaking from the inside reality of the system,
to an enthusiastic outsider. As Stefan pointed out, decades of
developers horsepower has so far provided better results than
alternative systems, although better designed and backed-up by robust
third-party components.

Is there an official "emacs 2" page (or project) where emacs people can
elaborate on how they would design emacs, if they had to start it from
scratch today ? If not, I would be happy to start one and try to
sumarize your points, from this thread. It would also be interesting, in
this project, to monitor various other attempts to create extensible
systems, and retrieve feedback. For exemple, I am amazed by the success
of the Xmonad window manager in this field : dynamic community, good
documentation, robust and correct behaviour. Few people have expected it
3 years ago, when this Haskell extensible system was first announced.
A lot of people (including me) considered static strictness to be a poor
design choice for extensibility. This is just an example of interesting
feedback from other's experiences.

--
  Paul