Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:51:41 +0100

>     Whenever I look at the Emacs C codebase, I think that a language like
>     the described above would do wonders replacing a good chunk of it.
>
> The code written in C in Emacs is mostly in C so it can be as fast as
> possible.  To move it into such a language would be a big practical
> loss.

Just a clarification:

You missed the part that says "Optionally, can compile to efficient
native code." Here, efficient means "at least as good as C".

Nowadays, thanks to projects like LLVM, it is easy to roll an
industrial-grade optimizing compiler if the language runtime
requirements are not too far from C. It is straightforward to design a
language that equals C in speed of execution and that is way more
expressive.

Actually, some of those languages often compile applications to code
that is faster than their C counterpart, as they are more
optimizer-friendly.