Re: No commit in vc?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: No commit in vc?
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:02:53 +0100

() Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
() Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:44:00 +0200

   Whose business is that, then?
   People are getting burned by this time and again.

It's a policy issue.  Thus, the business belongs to
whoever purports to follow the (purported) policy,
that being, the people getting burned.

In this case the people getting burned are Emacs
programmers (trying to follow/hammer out a new workflow),
so it is tempting to hardcode the resolution of hard-won
wisdom in the primary programming tool at hand (Emacs).

However, that is not the case universally.  I can imagine
a workflow (policy) whereby a programmer needs to do several
"bzr merge" operations prior to the "bzr commit".  This
programmer would view Emacs' recommendation as irrelevant
at best.

By avoiding that recommendation, we sidestep this problem.

But turning (back) inward: To stop us being burned time and time
again requires our understanding to grow, and that is no-one's
business but ours.

thi