Re: No commit in vc?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: No commit in vc?
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:07:16 +0100

() Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
() Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:28:48 +0200

   > From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
   > Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:02:53 +0100
   >
   > However, that is not the case universally.  I can imagine a
   > workflow (policy) whereby a programmer needs to do several
   > "bzr merge" operations prior to the "bzr commit".  This
   > programmer would view Emacs' recommendation as irrelevant at
   > best.

   This programmer knows what she is doing, and won't be averted
   by the recommendation.  It's the same as "File FOO already
   exists; overwrite anyway?":

The "overwrite anyway?" blurb is not the same:
- It is not a recommendation.
- It influences (via the user's response) Emacs' behavior.

If you want it to be the same, drop "we recommend", implement
"commit now?", and arrange to have that query as part of the
command that produces the "pending merges" state.

In the context of the proposal (as an adjunct to the status text,
rather than a decision requiring user input), however, a "pending
merges" blurb is sufficient: It accurately reflects the status
without gratuitously presuming any particular workflow.

thi