Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: grischka
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:36:16 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
    Also, it is probably just cultural, but around me the word 'ecosystem'
    connotes very respected ideas, of equilibrium, sustainability, fairness.

The concept of fairness plays no role in the study of ecosystems.  We
don't ask whether it is fair for an owl to eat a mouse, or for a mouse
to eat a plant.  We just note that these interactions are part of the
system.

But we are not owls or mice.  Humans in between have become able
to ask whether it is fair towards other humans or future generations
or even nature, if we burn oil for energy, as an example.  We also
recognize that this is not a secondary issue but may directly impact
our freedom.

Back to software, see that COPYING is only one of many files in the
emacs-x.x.tar.bz2 that people will receive.  This means that the
freedom of this software is defined by the legal clauses as well as
by the algorithms and design in the code.

So, in my opinion it is necessary to offer the potential in the software
in a shape that allows efficient reuse for other purposes.

--- grischka