RE: [Emacsweblogs] i18n

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacsweblogs] i18n
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:56:07 -0800

> It would be easy to change the reader such that _"foo" is
> automatically read as (_ "foo"), just like we do for 'foo -> (quote foo).

Oh sure. And break existing code.

It might be easy to change the reader to do that.
But why?  What's really gained by such a change?

Lisp (in general) has always read + eval'd a sexp such as (list 'foo_"bar") to
produce the list (foo_ "bar"). You would have it return (foo (_ "bar"))?

Caveat: I haven't followed this thread. I thought the question was about markup.
Why would a feature request for markup make us want to change the Lisp reader?
Apologies if I misunderstand the suggestion.